Services in Wells are slightly different than those in big city centres, which offers festival goers a unique experience.
- Questions about Accessibility? Contact Oryanna at email@example.com
- There isÂ no cell service in Wells. Â The closest service is at Mexican Hill (on the highway between Quesnel and Wells) or at the top of a couple of mountains (there has been reported service at the top of Slide Mountain and Two Sisters, if you want a long hike to your service!)
- Wi-Fi Service at local businesses and hotels is available, but very expensive for local business owners. Â Please respect the fact that they are trying to provide these services to you and limit your use at these locations.
- ArtsWells Wi-Fi Hotspots. Â For the ArtsWells weekend, there are a number of hotspots provided by our sponsor, ABC Communications. Â These are excellent locations for you to check / send message or post to your social media. (Help boost our media community usingÂ #ArtsWells!).
- Gas.Â There is only one gas station in Wells that has fuel delivered once per week. Â It is wise for Festival-goers to fill up in Prince George or Quesnel, so that you don’t get caught out. Â Once you are in Wells, there will be little need for your vehicle, though, as all the venues in the town are within walking distance and there is a shuttle to Barkerville
- Public Washrooms. Â There are port-o-potties provided throughout the town. Â At the Visitor Information Centre and Box Office at the head of Jack ‘o’ Clubs Lake when you enter town have public washrooms. Â Some of the venues, such as the Community Hall, have washrooms, but others, such as the Museum Stage, do not.
- Food and Groceries. If you are looking for groceries, there are supplies available at the Jack ‘o’ Clubs General and the BNC Mercantile. Â There are some local restaurants as well food trucks and the ArtsWells kitchen that provide a good selection of prepared food. The closest full grocery store is in Quesnel (75km away)
- Pay phones.Â Yes, Wells still has public pay phones! This is, in part, because we have no cell service. Â If you need to make a call, pay phones are located outside at the Jack ‘o’ Clubs and at the White Cap Motel or inside at the Wells Hotel and at Barkerville.
- ATM. There is no bank in Wells, but there is an ATM at the Wells Hotel and at Barkerville. Â Most places accept credit or debit cards, although vendors and food trucks may not.
- LiquorÂ store.Â Located at the Jack of Clubs General.
- Off-sales are available at the Wells Hotel and at the Wells Legion.
For more information about Wells, Barkerville and Bowron Lakes area, here are a few helpful sites:
- Love Wells (Businesses in Wells, Barkerville and Bowron)
- District of Wells (Municipal site)
- Barkerville Historic Site
- Bowron Lake Provincial Park